If you’re not preselling, you’re losing money
The most important thing you can do to increase your affiliate commissions is to presell properly.
Before we begin, we need to first define what preselling is. Well, it is an art. And it’s also a science. And it’s function is to prepare your reader to buy something. Then when they’re ready, refer them to the product website so they can buy it. If you do it well, it’s completely invisible.
In a nutshell, you provide value. And then refer them to the product website. In a second we’ll talk about how to do actually it. But before we do, you need to know why it’s so important. Here are a few benefits of preselling:
- It builds trust – And gaining the trust of your readers helps them want to click your links. Which obviously means you’ll make more sales.
- It takes your reader out of defense mode – When you’re not hyping or pitching a product, your reader lets their guard down. Unguarded reading means they’re not filtering what you say. So your message gets across.
- It preps them to buy – Now they’re open to hearing what you’re telling them. So they become more receptive to other messages. This includes the sales website you send them to! Sending them to the sales page in this state makes them more receptive to the actual pitch.
- You make more money – They arrive at the product website prepped to buy. With a feeling of trust and openness. The only possible result is more sales!
- It increases customer satisfaction – Your referral now feels like they decided to buy. Versus being pitched or convinced. So they are happier with their purchase.
- Preselling increases your bottom line – A satisfied customer doesn’t ask for a refund. Which means you keep more of your affiliate commissions.
Obviously, it’s important to presell. You increase your profits. And increase your customer satisfaction. It’s a win-win-win!
Now, here’s how preselling works:
Now you know whey preselling is critical. And I hope you’re resolved to being preselling, too. So, let’s talk about how to make it work. Like we talked about before, it’s an art. And it’s a science.
Becoming an artist
The first step is in getting your readers to trust you and open up. And the only method of doing this is to give exceptional value to your readers. Now, providing enough info to be useful, but still making them want more – that’s the art of it. The idea is that they want more and the sales page you send them to gives them more. And because you’ve gained trust, they’re more receptive to the sales message and more likely to buy.
The science component
You also have to include some very specific things.
One of these key elements is the presentation of the information. You have to have your end in mind. Your end goal is to make a sale of the product you’re preselling. There are two ways to accomplish this with great content. The first method is to provide enough info to get them started, but not enough to finish. Or you can give them so much information that it feels overwhelming to do what you’re talking about. In either case, the product you’re referring them to solves the problem for them.
But you can’t link to your affiliate link. Instead you link directly to the product sales page. That’s because nobody likes to click on affiliate links. But how are you going to get credit for the sale, if you don’t include your affiliate link? This is all part of the science of preselling. You use an image tag to cookie your reader before they leave your site.
You also want to link to the sales page from inside your article’s content. It’s habitual to click on words and phrases that are hyperlinked. Plus, if you link on relevant words, it only makes sense to click on there.
Putting all of this together creates a powerful affiliate marketing formula for success.
Now for the bad news…
It’s extremely difficult to do this correctly. Let’s look at the skills required to pull it off: Great content. First of all, you actually have to write great articles and give value to your readers. Which means you need to be both knowledgable on the subject and capable of writing a high-quality article. Strategic writing. Yes, you must providing useful content. And you have to make the content accessible in order to provide value. While at the same time making them want more. The other approach is to reveal a self-evident problem through the information.
Choosing your products. You also need to determine what products you’ll be preselling. If you can manage to get the article written well. Your efforts are completely wasted if you don’t pick a winning product.
The technical know-how One of the keys to this system is using “covert cookies” for the tracking. This is actually pretty simple – just embed a 1 pixel X 1 pixel image and set your affiliate link as the “source” of the image. (But if you do it wrong, you won’t get paid for the traffic you send.)
Now you know what it takes to be a Presell Pro. Using these techniques will increase your affiliate sales by 500% or more! The important thing is to use these techniques for everything you promote as an affiliate. Please don’t be lazy. Put in the effort to reap the greater rewards.